Examples of Islamicate music
These musical forms were often absorbed into Islamic (Sufi) performance, drew upon the latter, or exchanged materials. At times it is difficult to determine the boundaries of "Islamic" and "Islamicate" altogether.
- Egypt's Umm Kulthum
- Sabah Fakhri (b. 1933), the greatest living exponent of the pre-mediated Islamicate Arab style of "tarab" in Syria
- Turkish FasilMusic of Selim III
- Khayal style of Hindustani classical music.
- Javanese gamelan
- Persian dastgah, performed on solo kemenche by Kayhan Kalhor
- Moroccan nawba
- Plucked Lutes in West Africa: An Historical Overview, by Eric Charry (The Galpin Society Journal Vol. 49 (Mar., 1996), pp. 3-37)
- Bamaya northern Ghanaian traditional drumming, from the Dagomba people.
- Hausa traditional music (northern Nigeria, near Zaria)