The Music of Rumi: a concert performance
A multimedia event...
Listen to the reed and the tale it tells, How it sings of separation...
The music of Rumi is...
- the song of the reed flute, nay
- music in the sound of Rumi's poetry
- music as metaphor in Rumi's poetry
- musical settings of Rumi's poetry
- music as a metaphor for the performance of all mystical love texts
- music as a metaphor for the ritual experience of Rumi's poetry, for Rumi as Mevlana, as saint
- music as a metaphor for mystical experience and spirituality generally
- music as a metaphor for the harmonious machinery of the cosmos, the synchrony of micro/macrocosm, the mutual whirling of human and universe...
- Dance-recitations, performed by Geha Gonthier: the poetry of Rumi, and other mystical poets...with musical accompaniment on tar, nay, violin
- Rumi recitations, performed by Saleem Qureshi, with musical accompaniment on sarangi, nay
- The Indian Music Ensemble
- Kreisha Oro
- Songs of love, from The Middle Eastern and North African Music Ensemble:
- The poetry of Rumi, performed by Mehdi Samadi, Persian classical vocalist
- The poetry of Rumi, performed by Najva Persian music ensemble
- Ecstatic music and dance from the West African Music Esemble