Music for Ebola awareness, prevention and training
short link: http://bit.ly/ebolamusic
There is presently no 100% proven cure or vaccine for Ebola. Awareness, education, and fundraising for prevention and treatment are absolutely critical. Music is a key technology, with potential to spread awareness and critical information - rapidly, socially, and with tremendous emotional force.
See this New Yorker article, discussing the roles of music and culture in stopping the spread of Ebola.
Several Liberian artists have created music to help fight Ebola:
- "Ebola in Town" (interview with the artists), produced by m4ghd.org partner Shadow (Samuel Morgan) with two other Liberian colleagues, D12 and Kuzzy of 2kings, does all this and more. The song has already been widely disseminated by global media and news outlets, and plays extensively in Monrovia. (Click here for stories and links to the song in the online media...not all uses are authorized!)
- Fight Ebola by S-Man (Samuel Taylor).
- Other Ebola songs on YouTube
...and many other songs have emerged;
Music is a public health technology, gathering, informing, mobilizing.... supporting awareness and behavioral change, as evidenced in this video compilation (assembled by Michael Frishkopf for the University of Alberta's Ebola Symposium, March 2015)
We now seek to:
- Help these Liberian artists and others who have produced similar awareness-raising music, to further disseminate their musical messages around the world, for Ebola awareness, education, and health professional training.
- Produce a North American remix of "Ebola in Town", broadening its audience, involving more musical partners, and raising funds for Ebola prevention and research.
- Develop musical soundtracks supporting online Ebola training programs now under development at the University of Alberta and elsewhere
- Develop live musical drama performances to disseminate and instill awareness about the dangers of Ebola to residents of rural Ghana.
Anyone who wishes to join or support these projects, please contact us...
Professor of Music, University of Alberta