Bamboo Shield program, Dec 15 2011
9 am to 11:30, starting at CCE/fwa and then moving to Studio 27 for drumming/dancing.
11 students, ages 12-14, from various places around the world: 3 from Myanmar (Burma), 1from Iraq, 2 from Sudan, 1 from Sudan/Uganda, 1 from Somalia, 2 from Ethiopia, 1 from Tanzania
Accompanied by Miss Elsa Robinson (program coordinator), Miss Heather Kuzyk (teacher), and Miss Mariam (doctoral student/teacher)
Roughly 10-20 min for each segment:
- Welcome, introductions
- Michael Frishkopf on ethnomusicology, CCE and its collections, research and teaching we do around the world. Introduce CCE projects in Ghana and Liberia, via AV:
- Kat Danser: Down by the Riverside, talk about the music, the experience
- Jon Kertzer - talk about SF and folkwaysAlive? West African popular music, musical instruments
- Rana El Kadi: al-Hilwa Di, talk about the music and composer (I'll bring percussion and keyboard) 
- Cam Neufeld - demonstrate/talk about (Balkan music?)
- Tour CCE/fwa museum cases, instruments, collections...
- MF, Elsa, Jon K. teach some West African music and dance (Gahu) in Studio 27 - if time allows